PUNJABI DAL MAKHANI
Rich, creamy slow cooked whole black lentils. Dal Makhani is one of the most famous North Indian lentils, consisting of a tasty combination of Urad dal (whole black gram) and Rajma (red kidney beans).
Serves: 6 people
Prep : 15 mins
Cooking : 45-60 mins
Health Hack: This simple lentil is full of iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium and potassium which makes it a powerhouse of nutrients.
- Whole Urad Dal (whole black lentils) - 300gms
- Rajma (Red kidney beans) - 100gms
- Water -1 ½ litres
- Salt - to taste
- Onion - 2 medium, finely chopped
- Green chilli - 2, chopped
- Tomatoes - 3 medium, pureed
- Fresh ginger garlic paste -2 tbsp
- Ginger - 1-inch piece, cut into julienne strips
- Fresh coriander - handful, finely chopped
- Fresh cream - 4 tbsp
- Butter - 3 tbsp
- Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- Cloves - 4
- Black cardamom – 1
- Green cardamom – 4
- Cinnamon - 1inch piece
- Bay leaf - 1
- Garam masala powder -½ tsp
- Wash and soak whole urad dal and rajma in enough water overnight. Drain well.
- Boil the dal and rajma in 1.5 litres of water with salt in a pressure cooker for 10-15mins. Open the lid to see if lentils are cooked. If not fully cooked, then return on low heat till the rajma and lentils become soft. Continue to check consistency of Dal. If too thick you can add hot water at this stage and keep simmering on low heat.
- For Tadka, take a small pan and heat oil & butter on medium heat. Add cumin seeds to oil. When they begin to change colour add the remaining whole spices i.e. cloves, green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf. Sauté till the spices become aromatic.
- Then add finely chopped onions along with green chilli and sauté till golden. Then add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2-3mins.
- Add pureed tomato and cook until oil starts separating from mixture. Add this tempering to the dal along and simmer on very low heat for 10-15 minutes. Reserve one tablespoon of cream for garnish and add the rest to the lentils. Let the dal simmer for another five minutes.
- Garnish with julienne ginger strips, handful of coriander leaves and the reserved cream. Serve hot with rice or parantha.
Handy Kitchen Tips
Soaking red kidney beans and lentils overnight not only helps them cook faster but also releases gaseous substances through water making the beans and lentils easily digestible.