GOAN COCONUT RICE
Simple but rich-flavoured coconut rice from the state of Goa which makes a great accompaniment to almost everything.
Serves: 4 people
Prep : 20 mins
Cooking : 15-20 mins
Health Hack: Coconut is a super food with adequate calories, good mix of protein, fats and carbohydrates.
- Basmati rice – 250gms
- Onion – 1 medium, finely sliced
- Cinnamon – 1inch stick
- Water – 225mls
- Coconut milk – 225mls
Spices For Rice
- Black peppercorns – ½ tsp
- Cloves – 6
- Cashewnuts – 12, roasted for garnish
- Coconut or vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Wash rice a couple of times in fresh water until it is not cloudy and leave to soak in sufficient water for half hour.
- In a separate, pan roast cashews and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wide bottom pan. Add the whole spices, allow them to sizzle for 30-40 seconds and then add the onion. Sauté until soft and caramelizing on the edges.
- Drain the rice and add to the onion, spices and stir gently.
- Add the coconut milk and water. Season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil and wait for the liquid to reduce a little before you cover the rice.
- Cook covered on low heat until rice is cooked through and dry any excess liquid for 1-2 minutes in the end. Serve garnished with roasted cashew nuts.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
Perfect basmati rice is soft and fluffy with each grain being separate. Soaking rice in cold water for at least 30 mins ensures that rice cooks faster and the grains remain separate.