Thoran is a simple stir fry dish from Kerala in Southern India, cooked using finely shredded cabbage or any other seasonal vegetables tossed in an assortment of a few simple spices and garnished with fresh or desiccated coconut.
Serves: 4 people
Prep : 20 mins
Cooking : 15-20 mins
Health Hack: Curry leaves are of high medicinal value and help the heart function better, fight infections and are good for the hair and skin too.
- Cabbage - 800gms (shredded finely)
- Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Fresh curry Leaves -15
- Green chilli – (1or 2, slit lengthwise)
- Coconut (fresh or desiccated)- 2 tbsp, grated for garnish
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Vegetable Oil - 3 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter for 3-5 seconds.
- Add ginger and onion. Sauté well until the onion turns light brown.
- Now add the green chillies, turmeric powder and curry leaves. Mix everything well and continue to fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, season to taste and stir well. Stir-fry on high heat for a few minutes and then keep it covered for a few minutes.
- Remove the lid and if the cabbage is nearly cooked fry for a couple of minutes to dry any extra moisture in the pan.
- Check seasoning and garnish with grated coconut before serving.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
Any extra curry leaves can be frozen to keep them fresh for longer. This dish can also be cooked with Savoy Cabbage instead of the regular White Cabbage.