ADRAKI ALOO GOBI
Aloo Gobi is a delicious dry vegetable made using cauliflower and potatoes along with some simple spices and lots of fresh ginger (adrak)!! Perfect on its own or as an accompaniment to any curry.
Serves: 4 people
Prep : 20 mins
Cooking : 25 mins
Health Hack: Ginger has a long tradition of being effective in soothing the digestive system. It also has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
- Cauliflower - 1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
- Potatoes - 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
- Ginger - 5 tbsp, finely chopped
- Green chilli - 1, Slit lengthwise
- Fresh coriander – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Cumin - 1 tsp.
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp.
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp.
- Turmeric powder - 3 tsp.
- Vegetable Oil - 4 tbsp.
- Salt - To taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add cumin seeds. Allow them to sizzle for a minute on medium heat.
- When cumin seeds begin to change colour, add onion & green chillies.
- Cook until onions become nearly golden brown. Add finely chopped ginger and sauté it with onions for a couple of minutes.
- Now add all the powdered spices followed by potatoes, cauliflower and salt. Ensure that the potatoes and cauliflower are coated with the spices.
- Fry the cauliflower and potatoes on medium to high heat first to brown them slightly. Then cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with rotis.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
To reduce the cooking time you can also use parboiled potatoes. Different varieties of potatoes like Charlotte or Baby New Potatoes with the skin on also enhance the flavour of this rustic vegetable dish.