Lemon rice is a simple South Indian recipe that is both appetizing and healthy. This is an easy to make dish and the benefits of ingredients like asafoetida and turmeric are immense.
Serves: 4 people
Prep : 30 mins
Cooking : 15 mins
Health Hack: Lemon is a great source of vitamin C and peanuts are abundant in vitamins too. This dish is also a great way of including turmeric in the diet.
- Basmati Rice – 250 gms
- Onion - 1 medium, finely sliced lengthwise
- Fresh Curry Leaves - 10-12
- Lemon juice- 1 whole squeezed or to taste
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tbsp
- Red Chillies - 2 whole
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - ¼ tsp
- Peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Vegetable Oil - 4 tbsp
- Boil the basmati rice and allow it to cool. This is important for the grains to stay separate. Leftover boiled rice also works great.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add mustard seeds. When they splutter for 20-30 seconds add red chilies and peanuts.
- Once the peanuts are lightly roasted then add asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Sauté for 10-15 seconds and then add sliced onion. Sauté for a couple of minutes until the onions turn soft.
- Now add rice to this tempering, sprinkle salt on top and squeeze lemon juice. Mix well and slowly to avoid breaking the grains.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes for all flavours to blend with the rice. Serve hot with yogurt and pickle.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
Leftover plain boiled rice is great to use for this dish or cook the rice in advance, so it gets a chance to cool down. Adjust the tartness in the rice by adjusting (adjust appearing twice in this sentence) the amount of lemon juice.