JEERA MATAR PULAO
Basmati rice flavoured with simple spices, onions and green peas. This is an easy dish that compliments most sides and curries!
Serves: 4 people
Prep : 30 mins
Cooking : 15 mins
Health Hack: Jeera (Cumin) contains loads of anti-oxidants and has anti-bacterial properties. It aids digestion and adds flavor to any dish.
- Basmati rice- 250gms
- Onions - 1 medium, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Green peas - ¾ cup, frozen or fresh
- Water – 550mls
- Cumin seeds - ½ tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Salt - to taste
- Vegetable Oil - 4 tbsp
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wide bottom pan followed by cumin seeds and bay leaf. Allow them to sizzle for 30-40 seconds.
- Now add onions and fry until light golden.
- Add peas, sauté for 2-3 minutes followed by rice.
- Add water, salt to taste and bring to a boil. Boil for a couple of minutes on high heat and as the water starts reducing lower the heat.
- Cover with lid and cook until all water is absorbed.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
Perfect basmati rice is soft and fluffy with each grain being separate. Soaking rice in cold water for at least 30 mins ensures that rice cooks faster and the grains remain separate.