BOILED BASMATI RICE
Simple boiled basmati rice is a healthy accompaniment to all curries and lentils.
Serves: 4 people
Prep : 30 mins
Cooking : 10-15 mins
Health Hack: Rice is a powerhouse of energy, packed with micro-nutrients and essential protein building blocks.
- Basmati Rice – 250gms
- Water – 1.5 litres
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the rice well in a bowl (at least 3-4 times) until water is not cloudy and then soak in cold water for 30 minutes. Now drain the rice and transfer to another bowl.
- Put a large pan of water on high heat and bring to a boil. Add the oil and salt to it.
- Now add rice to the boiling water.
- Return the water to boil, stir well and allow the rice to simmer gently.
- Cook according to the variety of rice but usually for 10-15mins and drain. Drain in a colander and allow standing for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
Adding oil to the water prevents the rice from sticking to each other. Also rice is cooked when you can break a grain easily between your fingers.