This is a mildly spiced raita made in a typical South Indian style with delicious flavours from an aromatic tempering along with the refreshing taste of cucumber.
Serves: 4 people
Prep : 10 mins
Cooking : 10 mins
Health Hack: Cucumber provides a good boost of Vitamin C and helps with hydration plus yogurt is the ultimate super food providing lots of protein and probiotics.
- Cucumber - ½ of a large cucumber
- Yogurt - 500gms
- Milk - 200-300mls
- Fresh Coriander -1 tbsp finely chopped
- Curry Leaves - 4-5, torn roughly
- Urad dal (Split black gram) - ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds - ¼ tsp
- Whole Dry Red Chilies 1-2
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Himalayan Salt -to taste
- In a bowl whisk the yogurt and milk together to adjust consistency.
- Grate the cucumber and add this to the yogurt-milk mixture. Add salt to taste, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds when the oil is hot and once they splutter for 3-5 seconds reduce heat to medium followed by the dry red chilli.
- Immediately add urad dal and fry on medium heat. When the lentils begin to turn brown, turn off the heat and add the curry leaves.
- Allow this mixture to cool and then add this tempering to the yogurt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve chilled.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
Gently squeeze water from the grated cucumber before adding to the yogurt and ensure that the tempering has cooled down before adding to the yogurt.