PUNJABI FISH CURRY
This fish curry recipe has been inspired by the Dhaba’s (roadside restaurants) that line the motorways in North India, and it is cooked in a delicious onion tomato masala along with spices.
Serves: 4 people
Prep : 10 mins
Cooking : 30 mins
Health Hack: Fish is the most optimal source of Omega-3 and essential fatty acids. It also helps reduce inflammation and increase insulin sensitivity.
- Sea bream steaks – 500gms
- Onion – 2 large, finely sliced
- Tomatoes – 3 medium, blended
- Ginger & garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Green chilli – 2
- Water – 400 – 500mls
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Kasuri methi powder – 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Apply turmeric along with some salt to the fish and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds followed by onions, green chilli and cook until nearly golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for another couple of minutes until golden brown. Allow them to cool and blend into a paste.
- Add a little oil to the same pan and fry the onion paste on medium heat for a couple of minutes until it changes colour.
- Now add blended tomatoes along with some salt and cook until oil starts separating. Add coriander powder, Kashmiri chilli powder and cook for a few more minutes. Add water now to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- Lastly add fish pieces to this masala and cook covered until fish is done on both sides. Serve garnished with kasuri methi and garam masala.
Handy Kitchen Tips
Any firm fish works well with this recipe and you can also prepare the onion tomato base sauce in advance.