Tandoori Chicken gets its name from the traditional clay ovens called Tandoors. Chicken marinated with yogurt and spices is skewered and then left to roast in the Tandoor (or an oven/grill for those cooking at home). This dish can be served as an accompaniment to a main dish or simply enjoyed on its own with some salad and coriander mint chutney.
Serves: 6 people
Prep : 15 mins
Cooking : 30 mins
Health Hack: This dish is a great source of protein and vitamins. ‘Garam masala’ has Ayurvedic properties and helps with boosting immunity, promoting weight loss and digestion.
- Chicken - 1 kg (skinned thighs and drumsticks on the bone)
- Lemon juice - 3 tbsp.
- Hung yogurt - 200 grams normal yogurt (hung in muslin cloth)
- Ginger - garlic paste - 2 tbsp.
- Chickpea or Gram flour - 1 tbsp.
- Kashmiri chilli powder - 1 ½ tbsp.
- Garam masala powder - ½ tsp.
- Salt – To taste
- Vegetable Oil - 1 tbsp.
- Pierce the cleaned chicken pieces with a fork. Mix one tbsp. Kashmiri red chilli powder with one tbsp. lemon juice and salt and apply the mixture to the chicken. Set aside for half hour.
- For the marinade, first tie up the yogurt in a muslin cloth and leave to hang (I hang mine on the kitchen tap over the sink) for 15-20 minutes. Remove the thick hung yogurt put into a bowl.
- To the yogurt, add the remaining Kashmiri red chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste, remaining lemon juice, garam masala powder, chickpea flour, oil and salt (to taste). Mix well.
- Apply the above mixture all over the chicken and marinate for 3-4 hours in the fridge.
- Thread the chicken onto skewer or place in a baking tray and grill in a preheated oven at 200-220°C. Keep turning the skewers to brown the chicken evenly. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove and set aside. Serve with onion rings, lemon wedges and coriander mint chutney.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
For best results marinate chicken overnight and grill the following day. If you are rushed for time, then use Greek yogurt instead of hung yogurt though in a slightly lesser quantity.