A classic North Indian chicken dish cooked with spinach, spices and a hint of fresh coriander and mint.
Serves: 6 people
Prep : 15 mins
Cooking : 30 mins
Health Hack: This is a low calorie chicken curry with the goodness of protein from the chicken and antioxidants from leafy green spinach.
- Chicken - 1kg (skinned thighs & drumsticks on the bone)
- Onion - 2 medium, finely chopped
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp.
- Spinach 250gms – finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Fresh Mint - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Yogurt - 5 tbsp.
- Black Peppercorns – 8
- Bay Leaves - 2
- Cloves – 4
- Green Cardamoms – 3
- Coriander powder - 1 tbsp.
- Cumin powder 1 tsp.
- Red chilli powder - ½ tsp.
- Garam Masala - ½ tsp.
- Vegetable Oil - 4 tbsp.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottom saucepan. Add whole spices and allow them to sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until light brown. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces along with salt and fry for some time and then cover for 10mins. If there is any water left in the pan once uncovered then dry it up and then add all the dry powdered spices i.e. cumin powder, coriander powder and red chilli.
- Fry until all the spices get coated on the chicken and now add a tbsp. of yogurt. Repeat until all yogurt is used and chicken is light brown.
- Add spinach, coriander, mint and mix well until the greens start wilting. Cover and cook until chicken is tender.
- Uncover and dry any extra liquid in the pan. Garnish with garam masala before serving. Serve with any flat bread or rice.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
The curry is of a thick consistency as the spinach & spices are wrapped around the chicken. You can however add a dash of extra water while the dish is simmering if you like a little gravy.