GOAN XACUTI CHICKEN
Xacuti (pronounced Shakuti) is a typical Goan curry bursting with flavours from a number of spices. This dish also has a beautiful red tinge from the Kashmiri chillies and is perfect served with Goan Coconut Rice.
Serves: 6 people
Prep : 15 mins
Cooking : 40 mins
Health Hack: Spices like kashmiri chillies, star anise and ginger add to the flavour of the dish along with promoting calorie burn through heat generation.
- Chicken - 1 kg, skinned thighs & drumsticks on the bone
- Fresh coconut – 150gms, thinly sliced
- Onion – 1 large, sliced lengthwise
- Tomatoes – 2 large, sliced lengthwise
- Garlic – 5 large cloves, sliced
- Ginger – 2inch piece, sliced
- Curry leaves – 20
- Fresh coriander – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Water – 200mls
- Coconut milk – 200mls
Spices For Rice
- Star anise – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon – 2inch stick
- Black cloves – 7
- Black peppercorns – 10
- Cumin - ¼ tsp
- Coriander seeds – 2tbsp
- Poppy seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1tsp
- Whole kashmiri chilli – 5
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 5 tbsp
Cooking Instructions (For the Xacuti Paste):
- Heat 3 tbsp. of oil in a pan on medium heat. Add onion, coconut, ginger and garlic one after the other and fry until light golden. Just before removing from heat, add coriander leaves and sauté for another minute. Allow this mixture to cool down in a plate.
- Now add another tbsp of oil to the pan to fry all the whole spices (except mustard seeds) on low heat for around 3-4 minutes, until they release aroma.
- Once these have cooled, put them in a blender along with the onions, coconut, garlic and ginger fried before. Keep adding water in small quantities as you blend and make a smooth paste.
Cooking Instructions (For the Curry):
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in the pan on medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter. Then add around 15 curry leaves followed by the tomatoes. Fry well until oil appears on the surface.
- Now add the paste, remaining curry leaves and fry on medium heat until oil starts separating from the paste. Add chicken to the pan and fry with the paste for a few minutes. Add a little water and let the gravy come to a boil. Cover with a lid and allow the chicken to simmer for around 20 mins until it becomes tender. Make sure to stir half way through.
- Add the coconut milk now. Cook the gravy until it thickens to your taste. Serve hot with steamed or coconut rice and garnish with coriander.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
You can use desiccated coconut in case fresh coconut is not available but make sure to soak it in warm water for at least 10 minutes. You can also cook this curry with prawns or mixed vegetables for a vegetarian/vegan option. For less heat you can also deseed one or more kashmiri chilli.