Chicken cooked in a delicious and fragrant paste made with lots of fresh coriander, a hint of mint and whole spices. Perfect served with steamed rice or roti.
Serves: 6 people
Prep : 15 mins
Cooking : 30 mins
Health Hack: Chicken is a great source of minerals, vitamins and protein. Coriander provides a good boost of green carotenoids (a group of A vitamins) along with vitamin C and fibre. The spices add anti-bacterial qualities to the dish enhancing the nutritive value as well as flavour of the dish.
- Chicken - 1kg, thighs and drumsticks on the bone
- Onion - ½ medium, finely chopped
- Lemon Juice -1 tbsp
- Water - 300mls
- Salt - to taste
- Vegetable oil – 4 tbsp
Fresh Ingredients (FOR PASTE):
- Fresh coriander bunch – 120gms
- Mint - handful leaves
- Onion - 1 medium, peeled and quartered
- Green chilli – 2, whole
- Garlic - 7, large cloves peeled
- Ginger - 20gms, peeled
- Black peppercorns - 12
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon – 1inch stick
- Green cardamom - 6
Spices For Rice
- Marinate the chicken in lemon juice and salt.
- Blend together the ingredients for the paste adding very little water if required, reserving a little coriander.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick saucepan and fry the onion until they go soft and are beginning to brown.
- Add the paste and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring often over a moderate heat.
- Once the sides of the paste leaves oil then stir in the chicken. Fry the chicken in the paste for 5-7 min before adding salt, water and bringing to a boil. cook on a low heat. Simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on a low heat and stir half way through.
- Chop the reserved coriander and stir in. Serve with any flat bread or rice.
Per 100 g
Sat. Fat (%)
Handy Kitchen Tips
Use a full bunch of coriander along with the stalks rather than just picking the leaves as stalks carry a lot of flavour. Also make sure you wash the herbs well before using in the paste to ensure there is no grit.